With the winter months in full swing, it’s a good time for California homeowners to ensure their heating systems are in tip-top shape. Here are our top tips for maintaining your HVAC unit this winter:
Expert Winter HVAC Maintenance Tips
Keep your heating system working at peak performance this winter with these simple HVAC maintenance tips. Winter is an excellent time to prepare your heating system for the cold months ahead. Here are some tips on how to keep your HVAC system in tip-top shape:
- Regularly inspect your unit for leaks, cracks, or other damage. This practice can help you avoid any high-cost repairs down the road.
- Have an expert check out your system before winter begins—not only will it give you peace of mind, but this could save you from paying high repair costs due to frozen pipes caused by an underpowered unit.
Consider hiring a professional HVAC maintenance company near Santa Rosa to ensure all elements work correctly before the first snowfall hits!
Winter HVAC Maintenance Prep: How to Check Your Heating System
Once the weather starts to cool down (and if you haven’t already done so), now’s the time to check your heating system. Here’s what you’ll want to do:
- Check the thermostat setting. It should be set at a temperature that will keep you comfortable while keeping energy costs low. If it’s not set correctly, turn off the system and call an HVAC technician for help or follow our thermostat settings guide here.
- Check the batteries in your thermostat. If they’re dead, changing them is easy—just follow our quick replacement guide here! When replacing batteries, make sure they are compatible with and installed correctly in your specific model of thermostat; otherwise, this can lead to issues like increased consumption of electricity or incorrect operation due to incorrect voltage levels being sent by each battery type used together (which could result in overheating).
Change Your HVAC Filters Regularly
You should change your filters every three to four months and use high-quality filters designed for your system. This practice will help you maximize air quality in your home. If the filter is dirty and clogged, you may need to replace it sooner. Filters should be changed when they become too dirty or clogged, causing damage to your HVAC system. Also, changing the filters when you move into a new home or apartment is essential so no dirt from previous inhabitants gets carried into your home.
Clean Air Vents and Grills
Homeowners should regularly clean air vents and grills to remove dust, pollen and other air pollutants that can cause respiratory problems and hire professionals to clean their air ducts. Here are some tips for cleaning your home’s air vents:
- Use a soft brush or rag to remove dust from the vents. For a thorough cleaning, use a vacuum with crevice attachment to clean out any debris that may be stuck in between the grill or around the fan blades.
- Cleaning frequency depends on how often you use each vent. If you have an active child who plays with toys near an indoor vent, it may need more frequent maintenance than one that is used only occasionally by adults. It’s also important to keep track of how dirty your home gets during cold months when heating systems are running full-time—you might have to do some extra fall cleaning before winter hits!
Keep the Area Around Your HVAC Unit Clear
It’s important to keep the area around your HVAC unit clear of snow, ice and debris. If snow or ice starts to build up on the unit itself, it can cause problems with airflow and efficiency. Also, make sure that there are no leaves or other debris blocking any of the air vents on top of or in front of your HVAC unit.
Schedule an HVAC Inspection During Winter HVAC Maintenance
Whether in NorCal or anywhere else, it is always a good idea to have your HVAC system inspected at least once yearly. With the start of winter comes the perfect opportunity for an inspection. If you don’t have one scheduled, now is the time to set up an appointment with one of our professional air conditioner repair technicians before cold weather hits!
There are many benefits to having your heating and cooling system inspected by a professional:
- You’ll know if there are any issues worth addressing before they become major problems that cost thousands of dollars in repairs
- We’ll be able to pinpoint any issues that may result from neglecting proper maintenance (such as damage caused by dirt buildup) so that we can get them taken care of now—before they turn into big headaches later on down the road.
It’s time to get your heating system ready for winter! If you have questions about your HVAC system, contact Elevated Comfort today. We will help you with whatever winter HVAC maintenance needs.